Thursday, May 05, 2005

Thoughts on a Missing Spoon

Today my husband packed my lunch as usual: schnitzel (lovingly made on the Saturday before Pascha), hot dogs in crescent rolls, and applesauce. I got a knife and fork, too. No spoon for the applesauce.

I think it's funny that he packs utensils. I have utensils to use here at work, and a dishwasher and everything. I found it especially funny that today he didn't pack a spoon. (I haven't had applesauce in a few days.)

I thought, "Should I tell him that he forgot to pack a spoon? He'd be sorry, maybe disappointed in himself for not doing for me all the things he wants to. But it really is funny, because I have spoons here at work to use."

Then I stopped. I only thought it was funny because it didn't affect me. If I really had had to go without a spoon, and wanted to eat my applesauce, I would have had a little snit when I got home focussing on how he "didn't care enough" to foresee all of my needs, and failing to credit him for faithfully making my lunch every day, asking me whether I'd like something different, and surprising me with his thoughtfulness.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Help me to focus on the good which You bring me, especially my husband who guides me to You every day. Help me to be careful of him.

For lack of a spoon, may my willfulness be lost.

---

Wonderful (new-to-me) blogs: Meg and Mary Brigid

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home