Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bedtime stories

I'm still struggling along, trying to deal with philosophical questions like death, why bad things happen to good people, how to love others (especially when they drive me/my husband crazy), and bringing up children (in the way they should go, especially considering that I'm not all that great at staying headed in the right direction).

Reading to Teddy at bedtime seems to have helped more than anything else in terms of my having patience with him.  We are in the middle of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, and he is pretty good about asking for it.  We read one, one-and-a-half, or two chapters each night, and only skip if either of us is not feeling up to it or it's much too late for reading.  I think he is getting more comfortable using his words to tell me when he's had enough, and (I hope) I am getting better at talking to him and drawing out answers without jumping all over him and expecting too much (which just frustrates both of us).

I've found that I'm calmer through the day, with Teddy, Lucia, and VP.  Our home seems more peaceful (although this has not seemed to affect the dreadfully neglected laundry or dishes).

It seems like it's been so long since I've actually been able to enjoy being with my little boy.  He really is wonderful.  I'm more than a little bit afraid that this is just a fluke, that something will come up to upset the balance and I'll turn into horrible screaming mommy again.  Please keep praying for me.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

You have my prayers. I think all us Mommies go through this at one point or another.

Mon Dec 12, 05:25:00 AM CST  
Blogger Michelle M. said...

I agree with Laura that we all go through periods like this. My best advice would be for you to pray the Jesus Prayer whenever you can. That always helps me to calm down. Prayers for you.

Mon Dec 12, 08:30:00 AM CST  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Goodness, this brings back memories, Magda ! It is hard, hard work having three very young children, and hard to find time for each of them, and for your husband and for yourself.

I too am a firm advocate of reading at bedtime; Abby is ten and still loves our bedtime story reading... it is *our* time together.

The laundry and dishes will still need to be done even when your little ones grow up and leave home; you don't get a second chance at mothering your little ones, but you have the rest of your life to be able to do the housework. Go easy on yourself, and remember God frequently, even if it is a small "arrow" prayer. Sending love , hugs and prayers to you all !

Tue Dec 13, 02:41:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home