Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Prayer request

My mother called to say that she and my father are evacuating from Hurricane Rita. They are hoping to go to College Station to stay with some family friends.

They have been zip-locking things at my father's office (stamps; my mother said NASA is expected to be underwater), and plan to go to the safe deposit box and zip-lock things there. My father is weak from the on-going chemotherapy and yesterday's blood transfusion; my mother is unable to move any furniture.

I remember, trying to get to sleep when I was younger, imagining what I would get out of the house first if there were a fire. At the top of the list (after people, the two teddy bears, and family pictures) was the piano. It's in the living room, next to the large plate-glass windows which aren't set right and don't have proper outside drainage so that during the heavy rains it floods at least a little, despite my mother's barrage of workmen over the years to alleviate the problem, replacing the wall material underneath. It was my mother's grandmother's piano, with the ivory and ebony keys which have spoiled me for the plastic ones. There are also the books and the furniture downstairs which my mother told me to be prepared to lose. It is easier to be sad about losing them than to contemplate losing my father.

There is nothing I can do right now except pray (especially for my parents (Theodore and Catherine) and the parishoners of this little church) and ask that you do the same, trusting that whatever happens, however much it may hurt now, God is taking care of each of us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Lord have Mercy - they are in my prayers.

Wed Sep 21, 12:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Lord, have mercy ! I`m praying for them.

Thu Sep 22, 04:52:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Meg said...

Most certainly your parents, and all who stand to be affected by Rita, will be in my prayers.

I wanted to thank you for offering so generously to help me out with getting to that funeral in Roslindale. As it happens, no one ever got back to me with details, and I'm pretty sure she was buried today; so obviously, no chance to go. But Galina and her family are also in my prayers, and to you: "To them that help us, and to them that are merciful to us, O Lord, grant remission of sins." Best way I can think of to say Thank You for your offer.

Thu Sep 22, 04:12:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home