Tuesday, July 02, 2013

Second 101 Things update

I've had this on my calendar since the first week of June...  I've been having a tough time getting myself to do things.  (I know, story of my life.)

For each section, there's a count of the number of items in that section, then a breakdown of what is finished, what is in progress, and what hasn't been started yet.  The numbers of finished items are in bold, those of items in progress are italicized.

Health and Fitness (9:2/3/4)
001. Take a walk every day for a week (of at least a mile)
002. Floss teeth daily for a month
-----In the "attempting to start a good habit" this has slacked off quite a bit.  May need to put the floss in the way of something else in the medicine cabinet so I notice it.
003. Go to the gym 15 times, working for at least half an hour [0/15]
004. Do midwife-approved strengthening exercises after giving birth
-----I have fallen off the exercise wagon pretty severely, but recently tried a session of yoga and am looking forward to starting an eight-week session next Tuesday.
005. Get a massage (two times) [1/2]
006. Visit an eye doctor and check my prescription/glasses/contacts
007. Go to the dentist yearly (three times) [1/3]
008. Set a bedtime and stick to it for 30 consecutive days
-----I may need to point out to myself that three in the morning is not what I'm aiming for. More like 10 or 11.  *sigh*  But that's when there's quiet.
009. Take a multivitamin for 30 consecutive days
-----Although I meant to continue this regularly, it's been a bit hit-or-miss since buying vitamins at Costco, since the new containers are giant and do not fit in the medicine cabinet and have been relegated to the kitchen with the kids' vitamins.  (Theirs are gummy, so I am less likely to forget.  Also I have a free bribe a day built in with those.)

Learning (12:4/2/6)
010. Read the New Testament [27/27]
011. Read the Old Testament [0/49]
-----I think I should start over since I hadn't read any more in Genesis since I last wrote.  *sigh*  Again.
012. Read a month's worth of Church Fathers [31/31]
-----Although I reached my 101/1001 goal, I kinda want to catch up and continue this project.
013. Learn Romanian Trisagion prayers and Nicene Creed.
-----Oh, right.  This was a goal.
014. Learn the countries of each continent (sporcle.com quizzes, first time success in a day) [6/6]
015. Read 7 Habits of Highly Effective People
016. Memorize the first five kathismata (Psalms 1-37) [1/37]
-----I found my old steno pad where I'd been working on memorization.  Then I put it back in a box...
017. Learn apolytikia for all family saints (Peter, Mary Magdalene, Theodore the Studite, Gregory Palamas, Lucia, Catherine, Timothy the Apostle, and Moses the Black) in English [0/8]
-----I have some of these printed out, but I don't know where I put them.  (Must organize office!)
018. Memorize the books of the Bible in order
-----Probably should review this...
019. Learn the 8 resurrectional apolytikia in English [0/8]
-----Still haven't decided on the translation yet.
020. Learn the 12 great festal hymns: apolytikia and kontakia in English [0/24]
-----Haven't gone any further with this either.
021. Learn to make a prayer rope

Social Ties (7:1/2/4)
022. Have a dinner party
023. Invite others on a ladies' night out
-----The week after my birthday, I invited several ladies to A Taste of India and to see the Keira Knightley version of Pride and Prejudice which was offered for free at Theatre Cedar Rapids thanks to Linn Area Reads.  Everyone, myself included, seemed to enjoy the non-meat selection at the restaurant (seriously, "veg" and "non-veg" are their menus), which made it a great Lenten option; the servings were huge as well as tasty.
024. Invite Matthew to visit our family
025. Make a birthday list and send out birthday cards to at least five friends (namedays also count) [2/5]
-----Got two out, to friends with birthdays at the end of January and start of February.
026. Set up five playdates [0/5]
027. Send out annual letter (twice) [0/2]
-----Still haven't finished the pictures for the 2011-2012 version.  Yeah, the one that tells about our TWO younger children.  *sigh*
028. Host a Lego party
-----It doesn't quite count, but we did go with the parish youth group to the Matter Building Lab, and have gone twice to the Lego Club at the Marion Public Library.  (Added bonus: the lady in charge of Lego Club at the library is the homeschool liaison.)

Better World (7:1/1/5)
029. Volunteer at the library
-----I had forgotten this was a goal, but I did ask about it at the children's desk.
030. Donate blood
031. Donate to Matt and Tara in Niger
-----Hooray!  I forgot this was on here, too, but we've done this once so far, and now have even more specific information.
032. Put together and send kits to IOCC; put together some "blessing bags" to keep in the car
-----This 101/1001 project is making me realize how skewed the talk/action ratio is.  Fortunately our parish is awesome and will be putting together school kits relatively soon, so I hope to actually exert myself.
033. Volunteer at the soup kitchen with Philoptochos
034. Visit a nursing home with the children
-----Again, forgot this was on here, but have a tentative date to do this with the children on Friday!
035. Buy a cow/goat/bees from the Heifer Project

Homestead (20:1/2/17)
036. See about southeast corner landscaping/drainage
-----I've gotten some names of general contractors...
037. Get gutters cleaned (install gutter guard?)
-----So the place where I got the Groupon had a full phone mailbox and a non-reachable website, so I got a refund... and then they contacted me.  I'm going to see what I can find out with general contractors.  I might do the garage gutters myself (ha! like I do anything ever), but the ones on the house are gigantically high.  Back to square one.
038. Put up outdoor Christmas decorations (wreath, lights)
039. Get chimney/fireplace inspected and put in working order
040. Replace bathtub drain (main floor)
041. Secure the threshold for the walk-in door to the garage
042. Properly mount the safety reverse on the garage door (eyes)
043. Figure out what all electrical switches go to
044. Replace light in street lamp
-----Have figured out it's not the lightbulb, so this will need someone who knows more than I do.
045. Add light to upstairs closet
046. Install a programmable thermostat
-----May not get a Nest after all.
047. Fix main floor bathroom sink flow issue (clean aerator?)
048. Replace shower heads
049. Fix upstairs bath handle leaks
050. Stick with bi-weekly cleaning day (laundry, cleaning bathrooms, dishes) for four instances [0/4]
-----Augh.  I haven't even done all my paltry little list has aimed for once.
051. Plant Lucia's Christmas tree
-----Well, it's planted in the front yard.  By my husband.  And we think it's dying.  But I'll count it as done.
052. Introduce ourselves to each of the neighbors on our street/block [1/14]
-----Our next-door neighbors moved, but I did meet the man across the street and one house to the left when the power went out.  Combined with other information from my husband, there are a lot of men with names starting with J, including the former owner of our own house.
053. Get a free energy check-up for the house
054. Sort through and organize ALL clothes (his, mine, and the children's) for what fits, what needs repair, and by season (store, donate, repair as needed)
-----I made a brave effort on the children's clothes and then fizzled out.  There are four tubs and a pile as well as the drawers and shelves for the two younger children.  All of our folded clothing is in drawers (or trunks), and I've hung up new clothing from my sister and given away most of the maternity clothes to a friend (huzzah, O blog-stalker!) who is expecting a January birth.  Of course, that sounds like a lot, but I haven't done anything really in over a month.
055. Unpack everything from the move ... and put it away
-----My husband bought wire shelves from a Blockbuster that was going out of business, so all the books are unpacked into little piles, which is much easier to access than in boxes, but I still can't find everything I'm looking for and have that horrible "Did I give it away, lose a box, or am I simply insane?" query running through my head whenever I can't find anything.  (A Guide to the Divine Liturgy by Robert Krantz, where are you?)

Computer (7:1/1/5)
056. Organize desktop icons
057. Organize files
058. Make wedding photos more accessible (i.e., find them)
059. Upload photos from computer to online albums
060. Select and order photos from online albums for physical albums
061. Update physical photo albums
-----Well, the boxes of photos are in the office rather than the basement.
062. Completely clear out gmail inbox
-----Started with 103 important-and-unread, 172 unread, and 3900 total in my inbox.  As of the first update, I have 80 important-and-unread, 151 unread, and 1770 total in my inbox.  As of this update, I have 161 important-and-unread, 579 unread, and 1129 total in my inbox.  Not as bad as it might be, but another proof of laziness and backsliding, etc.

Car (3:0/1/2)
063. Clean out car, including vacuuming and car wash [0/3]
-----Well, I brought in all the stuff from my husband's road trip from Florida to Iowa, but then there was snow and a baby and more snow, so I'm not going out there for extended periods of time, nor planning on vacuuming with snow on the ground.
064. Clean out minivan, including vacuuming and car wash [0/3]
-----Almost got a free car wash in May when I drove up to MN, but the whole weekend was crazy-busy, so, ahem, that was a wash.  Figuratively, of course.
065. Transfer minivan title to Iowa

Crafty (6:1/0/1/4)
066. Finish knitting (Teddy's) toddler pants
-----New goal: 2T pants so that Timmo can wear them.  Ugh.
067. Make epitrachelion
068. Make a dollhouse church
069. Write a children's story about a family saint
070. Make (liturgical) seasonal notebooks (New Year to Nativity Fast, Nativity Fast to Triodion, Triodion and Lent, Pascha to Pentecost, Apostles' Fast to end of liturgical year) [0/5]
071. Replace the elastic in all the white diapers (legs) and all diapers (backs) [0/8; 0/24]
-----We bought new diapers.  Not sure what to do with this item.

Food (5:0/0/5)
072. Make a fasting menu plan for a week
073. Make a non-fasting menu plan for a week
074. Eat salad four times a week for four consecutive weeks
075. Make a meal with the crockpot
076. Work on Auntie Leila's "Happy Home: Food Organization" list every day (even a little bit) for a week

Activities (7:0/0/7)
077. Find an Irish dancing school near Cedar Rapids
078. Play the flute for half an hour every day for a week
079. Play the fiddle for half an hour every day for a week
080. Find a piano teacher and something to practice on
081. Go to see live theater with my husband and no children
082. Go to see live theater with the whole family (children's performance)
083. Attend a retreat or icon workshop (no children)

Travel (6:0/0/6)
084. Visit a monastery with the family
085. Visit three different museums [0/3]
086. Go to the zoo
087. Go to the park with the children 20 times [1/20]
088. Ride a train with the children
089. Go to the St. Emmelia Homeschooling Conference

Miscellaneous (12:3/2/7)
090. Have a baby (this one is definitely already started)
091. Make a passwords book
092. Get children a tape player and record three books on tape [0/3]
-----I'm going to change this to a digital recording so that we can play it back on a kindle.  Since I wrote that my sister has given us a children's tape recorder.
093. Make a will
-----Have gotten the name of a lawyer.
094. Have a written funeral plan (find out about laws for green burial, transport across state lines, burial at monastery)
095. Make to-do list for Romanian paperwork for children's citizenship
096. Read (or re-read, to be in order) all the Newbery Medal books (assuming there will be three more as this 1001 days goes; ordered holds on the first three to be picked up at my local library) [13/94]
-----The next book seems to only be available at one local library (the one I don't go to) and it's a reference book, so I'll have to figure out how to arrange that.
097. Complete a monthly photo challenge
-----I'm going to count this as done since I took one photo of each child for most of Lent and put it in a Facebook album ("For the Godparents").
098. Get new Iowa credit union account(s)
-----Our current credit union has decided to behave decently for now, so this might not be necessary.  Since writing that, they screwed up my debit card (again), so they're back on the status of being looked at warily.
099. Participate in {phfr} on "Like Mother, Like Daughter" for four weeks in a row [4/4]
101. Make/find/buy a homeschooling curriculum
101. Sort through and cull the filing cabinet
-----I have a proper desk now (delivered when I was in MN with the kids), but haven't organized things, so there's in-boxes and to-be-filed piles everywhere. *sigh*

So what's the score?
Made obsolete: 1
Completed: 13
In progress: 15
Unstarted: 72

One of my main problems is not reviewing my overall goals, so I haven't been putting down on my to-do list the smaller goals to help me complete these tasks.  It's also a struggle not to get overly depressed about what I haven't done (still).  But I made brownies today and the baby is working painfully and loudly on getting teeth, so I'll go off and do other things.

I should also consider blogging more between these posts.  There are other things floating around in my head.

***
Update: Regarding the daily routine sorts of things (January 54%, February 48%), I seem to have gotten worse in those:
March 37%
April 47%
May 38%
June 37%
Definitely room for improvement.

Another thing I have been attempting is keeping track of reading minutes for three children as well as books read for myself... for three different reading programs each.  And I made my husband do a reading program, too.  (One of the prizes is a chance at a $50 gift card to HPB.)

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

That's a very impressive undertaking!
My resolutions seem to last about a week then Real life throws me a curveball and it all comes tumbling down around my ears.......

Wed Jul 03, 12:25:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home