Thursday, August 02, 2007

Great Paraklesis

(We're back from the trip to Romania, but there are 899 photos and one video to sort through and provide commentary on.)

Tonight, as there is no service at Holy Trinity (you can check out the webpage as Fr. Peter is working on it), we had a Great Paraklesis service at home. As you may know, the service is the same as the Small Paraklesis except for the odes and (as we remembered midway) the Gospel. However, we have no idea where our service book for the Small Paraklesis book is. (Did I take it to Romania? Is it still in a box?) So we used the online services (Small and Great).

But I learned (well, not in the finished sense) the Great Paraklesis odes from Fr. Seraphim (Dedes)'s cd. Except that I don't have a written copy. Being familiar with it from my six-month-plus stint of listening to it to and from work (twice through each way, or once in English and once in Greek), I found it much easier to finish transcribing it. (I had already done the first two odes previously, when I was less familiar with it.)

It was strange to have a service with my very own priest at home, but delightful to have a thoroughly familiar service. We have an icon of the Theotokos, gift of Fr. Antonie from the Neamţ Monastery (orthodoxwiki article to come, following picture-sorting, God-willing), propped up on a table. For most of the service we were turned towards the monitor, even using google documents for our prayer list ... which my husband added to verbally and I typographically as we went.

I think our house is happier now.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Glad you had a wonderful trip! You and the soul of your sweet little one are in my daily prayers.

Fri Aug 03, 12:32:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Thu Aug 23, 01:52:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Xenia Kathryn said...

Congrats on all the new and exciting developments in the life of your family!
In Christ,
X.K.

Thu Aug 23, 01:54:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home