Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Liberry with the Guggs


Borrowed books and movies; bought books and movies.
More love for the library.

I was very good and limited myself to borrowing only five library books this time, and they're from the children's section, so I should be able to finish and return them relatively quickly. (Total of 30 library books at home now.)

Picked up five hopefully-funny DVDs this time, too. They have increased the limit of DVDs one is allowed to check out (from 2 to 7), but have decreased the amount of times one may recheck them (2 to 0). However, this rechecking crisis seems to be avertable by going to the library and having one of the librarians recheck them. I just don't like that the library didn't let anyone know about the no-more-rechecking-movies thing, whereas they publicized the new limit quite a bit. (I would rather go back, so I could keep my television series long enough to watch them, and only have one out at a time, and now the DVD section is quite bare, so the selection isn't as good.) I am glad that our library night is on Tuesdays, because most of the time people want a movie for the weekend, but will have returned them at the beginning of the week. Ah, that year at Blockbuster counted for something.

Since we were with the Guggs, we went to the book sale area where Mrs. Gugg and I made quite a few finds. I'm especially happy with the Red Skelton DVD for Peterbird. He had mentioned wanting to see some Red Skelton earlier, and here was 90 minutes for a dollar, to keep! I got for myself The Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman. It's a fun little book which I think I've read before; I also got Bruce Brooks' Midnight Hour Encores (not pictured) as a second copy to loan out. Mrs. Gugg has borrowed it, and I couldn't find my first copy to put in the picture, but I really like that book and now I want to reread it (again). Since I have no other books to read. I found one of the American Girls books, and hope to send it out within the week, but I'm a horrible correspondent, so it may hang around the house for a while along with my good intentions.

I don't know why I blog about going to the library, but I love going to the library and coming back with all this loot, so I guess it's just like running down the flight of stairs and telling your neighbor that you just made lasagna and it's very exciting and she humors you and says how wonderful we'll have to try some and you go away and are happy that someone knows that you're happy. Or I could just be talking too much again.

P.S. I think I'll try the Book Journal at lj again (link to the right, under "Good Intentions"), but just briefly give an impression of each book which is going back to the library.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I enjoyed "The Midwive's Apprentice" a lot, I have birth junkie tendancies!

However, her "Catherine Called Birdy" is also good!

Wed Oct 05, 01:45:00 PM CDT  
Blogger magda said...

I'd read The Midwife's Apprentice and Catherine, Called Birdy before. Mrs. Gugg and I cleaned up a display of Ms. Cushman's books: she checked out one, and I got two (The Ballad of Lucy Whipple and Matilda Bone), leaving one book in the display, feeling horribly guilty, but there weren't any more copies on the regular shelf. I read Matilda Bone at lunch: very enjoyable.

Wed Oct 05, 02:56:00 PM CDT  
Blogger Lissa said...

I like the library as well. On Tuesday mornings, our local library has a free Nursery Rhyme Time for Babies, which Gabriella thoroughly enjoys. So, I suppose Tuesdays are our library days as well, although I plan to go today, too, and it's Friday. Do you only have one library day each week?

Fri Oct 07, 10:28:00 AM CDT  
Blogger magda said...

Of course I only have one library day a week. Any more—like the three times I went last week—would be extravagant.

Fri Oct 07, 10:36:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Lissa said...

Good to know. I'd hate to hear that you are being extravagant or anything. :-)

Fri Oct 07, 10:04:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home