Thursday, September 29, 2005

Liberry


Can't stop with just one.


I don't understand why my husband laughed at me when I said I was worried that I would only be getting the book I had on reserve at the library ... I only had 13 at home!! This is one of the main reasons I don't want to go back to school. In college, I only read a "fun" book about once a month. (Senior year of high school was the first time I preferred people to books. I am a turtle and they are my home.)

I would like to put together some sort of *thing* on books I read. I tried putting up synopses of and reflections on books I had read, but things shorter than three-inches-thick (Kristin Lavransdatter by Sigrid Undset and The Far Pavilions by M.M. Kaye) ... well, it would be about a day or two before I would want to go through the laborious process of summarizing the plot and composing an entry with suitable links ... and by that time I would have read about four books, so the task was now four times as daunting, so I'd put it off for another day or two ... So.

I could do a "currently reading," on each blogpost, but what if I read something worthy of note and don't blog that day? Rawrg. It's just that I like to see what other people are reading, because it inspires me to branch out, or makes me think of things I could almost remember. (Nonnanaz helped me find Good Wives, the volume I had been neglecting in my ravenous hunt for Louisa May Alcott.) Any suggestions as to how I could format a "currently reading" list?

No "Ladies' Night Out" this week. Better luck next time.

P.S. I picked up Pepper and Salt because it intrigued me (I didn't realize there was a whole fairy-tale section before, hence all the Andrew Lang), but took it with me for the rest of the title: or Seasoning for Young Folk.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could do something like this, if you wanted.

Thu Sep 29, 09:29:00 PM CDT  
Blogger magda said...

Indirectly, Nonna. You linked to Bibliomania with their online books, and one of the authors there is LMA. I'm on a kick of her (slaughtered that idiom as a matter of course, didn't I?) and found that Good Wives was the title I had overlooked in the March family books.

I am indeed blessed (spoiled, too) to have such a wonderful library. Until recently, we could get DVDs on interlibrary loan, and request them online, and recheck them out twice (for a total of three weeks, one week each time). Now, we're allowed to check out seven DVDs—no requesting and no rechecking online anymore—but they're all free. We have 6 episodes of Murder, She Wrote to watch before Tuesday. Then, we'll see what other light tv shows are available.

I remember being scandalized at my sister M (I still am, rather), who doesn't read more than a book a year. I may have to think about this "children" idea some more. I love being an auntie: I give them back to be fixed when they cry and I can't comfort them. They do have books on tape and books on cd, so maybe that would be a good idea for parent-types who need more non-pedestrian plot.

Fri Sep 30, 09:59:00 AM CDT  
Blogger magda said...

Laura, thank you for the tip. I keep a yellow-sticky on my library card for just such occasions.

Time for a Latin abbreviations lesson! (Everybody's favorite, not just mine, right?) It's "et al." for "et alii" which means "and others"—so you're not allowed to put a period after "et" or* I will come to your house and clean it and force you to eat brownies and banana bread.

*Not an exclusive or; not an else.

Fri Sep 30, 11:09:00 AM CDT  
Blogger Mimi said...

Yeah, I wanted to do that once too (which is why my blog address is mimisbooks actually) but that went by the wayside too!

Enjoy all those books! I love to read, but don't get to do it as much as you!

Fri Sep 30, 12:21:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home