Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kolaches

Hopefully, this will be the last catch-up post on this blog. (There's two in line for the baby blog, though.)

Recently, my "nesting" skills steered me toward the kitchen. So I made kolaches*. I mistakenly thought we had enough cream cheese, but we only had 8 oz., and the cream cheese filling recipe I wanted to try called for 16 oz., which wouldn't have been a problem except that it's hard to halve one egg.

*The missing ingredient in the directions is the scalded and cooled milk, which I assumed should be mixed in at the beginning.

So, since I've been craving peaches and yogurt (not together), we had lots of peaches on hand. So I found a recipe online and halved it (after looking up how many peaches were in a bushel) and made my own peach filling from scratch. I used about half of it in the kolaches, but was confident that my sweet-loving husband would take care of the extra. (I think he ended up being more delighted with the extra filling than with the kolaches themselves.)

Things I learned: Even at a low temperature and for a short time, do not bake things on the lowest rack. You cannot completely clean off burnt peach filling from your cookie sheets. Extra egg whites can easily fit into the brownies you make afterwards. (I got carried away.) Scraping off the burnt bottoms of two trays of kolaches is well worth the effort. Toasting kolaches and covering them with ice cream is reward enough to the labor (and heat) involved in making them in the first place.

And now I have cream cheese.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Oh yum does that sound good.

And, peaches would go well with yogurt, I think (I'm not a huge peach fan, but when you crave something, you crave something)

Wed Aug 27, 12:48:00 PM CDT  
Blogger -tba said...

I'll have to give those a try soon. There's a lot of peaches at the markets these days.

Thu Aug 28, 07:56:00 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home