Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Coming Attractions

We've been on a car trip to Georgia, visiting friends of Peterbird's family, my sister J, college friends and their new baby, a museum, another couple of college friends with a loving cat, the Nees, their church and Khouria, and coming back home again. Apply the phrases "delightful," "refreshing," and "wonderful" to any of those events, and you'll be right.

It was a great trip. Except for the car. Gertrude brought us home faithfully, and died. I am an Orthodox Christian, and my car is thus an Orthodox car (because I said so, and *all* Creation is calling out for the touch of God's hand). As an Orthodox Christian, I *believe* in the resurrection. Even of my car. So we have a rental car for the rest of the week, and we're looking at our options. (Peterbird is doing more looking than I, but that's because he's hardworkinger and better. And taller, whether or not that enters into it.)

I took Monday off to read the rest of Harry Potter, even finding the word "pouffe" on one of the pages. (Silly me; forgot to mark it. Sorry, Jim.)

My parents are coming to visit in August. This might not even be a bad thing. (I said "might.")

Frederica Mathewes-Green's recent article has provoked a great deal of discussion.

A curious series of events has made me wonder what's going on: several car problems, culminating in Gertrude's demise, a clogged toilet, a power failure, phone failure ... Well, it's left me feeling rather precipitous. And, at the same time, held. I am learning to be a better wife, and I am happy. All these things are challenges to be overcome, dealt with, not obstacles to label "insurmountable" and weep at the vicissitudes of fate.* God is holding me in His hand.

*Yes, this is a cool phrase.

So! I will sort out what's what and type it up and post it for the delightment and/or amusement of those who desire suchlike. Also, please pray for my car and my dad.

I am happy and at peace. I read it on the internet; it must be true.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

What a wonderful road trip, I'd love to hang out with y'all and the Nees!

Sorry about your car, hopefully it is fixable. Says she who knows nothing about cars other than how to turn them on and drive.

Wed Jul 20, 11:58:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home